Posts Tagged ‘non-stick pans’
Over the weekend, I bought new non-stick pan. Believed me, I had a hard time choosing. There are a lot of pans in different sizes and name brands and prices. Finally, I settle for one that seems to fit the purpose of the purchase – a good quality non-stick frying fan for me to use when frying eggs, hotdogs, bacon USING LESS OIL.
Our old non-stick pan was showing small scratches on the coatings. Because of the growing debate over the safety of the coatings used in non-stick cookware/bakeware, I wouldn’t risk on the safety of our family’s health. Besides, for less than 500 pesos for a non-stick pan, throwing away the old one is reasonable enough.
What it is there in non-stick pans that we should be aware of?
To make pans and other cookware items be non-stick, manufacturers have been using Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), a stable chemical that is discovered to prevent the food from sticking to the pan during cooking. Thus, food can be cooked using less oils (fats) providing healthier benefits to users of non-stick pans.. However, potential health damage have been raised over the use of PTFE.
Through modern innovation, most companies have adhered to safety standards with regards to making non-stick pans be as safe to use by consumers. Care and proper handling have been provided for every product purchased.
What are the safety rules in using non-stick pans?
- -Do not overheat non-stick pans. Oils will begin to get burn when the pan reaches temperature of 260 degree Celsius. Fumes can then caused unhealthy effects on humans. Hence, it is important to check the heat especially when cooking on stove top.
- -Do not use metallic spatulas over non-stick pans as these may caused scratches on the coatings. Plastic spatulas or ladles are preferred.
- -Hand wash non-stick pans with warm soapy water. Never use harsh detergents as these may damage the coating. Never use scrubbers also as these may scratch off the coatings, too. Non-stick pans are generally easy to wash.
- -Store non-stick pans and other pans separately and properly. Bumping will cause scratches on the pan.
- –Do not st0re foods using non-stick pans. Some foods can damage the pan when stored for longer periods of time.
Making sure that these safety procedures are followed can ensure safety and healthy cooking procedure using non-stick pans.